Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year and Welcome Back!!

I am so excited to be back at school.  I know that sounds strange for a teacher to say, but I truly am glad to be back.  I had a wonderful holiday break with my family and I hope that you guys did as well.  We are hitting the ground running and are off to a great start.  My new years resolution last year was to blog every single day for the parents in my classroom.  I am pretty happy with how well I did on this goal.  I didn't necessarily make it every day, but who can say they pushed away every piece of cake and cookie?  This year's professional goal is to get my students involved in blogging and to implement ipads in my classroom at least three times a week.  Thank you so much for your support the first half of the year and I look forward to the rest of the year being just as great.

Number of the Day:  1,333 (100 more, 10 more, 10 less, next odd, next even)

Writing Workshop:  We are continue to focus on writing a small moment story.  We practice this every day in our morning journal writing and also throughout the reading curriculum.  Ask your child to tell you a story and when it begins to draw out over longer than a five minute story, have them narrow it down.

Reading Workshop:  We are finishing up our study of biographies.  Tomorrow is the last day for our Bearcat Buddy Travis and he will be teaching a lesson on how to write an autobiography.  I know the students and I will really miss him.

Math Workshop:  MULTIPLICATION!!!  Get out those flash cards and practice!  Today we learned the 10's trick.  Any time you are multiplying by 10, write down the number you are multiplying by and then write a 0.  It always works.

Science:  Do you know how plants make seeds?  Well, your child should know.  Ask them how this happens.

SS:  We reviewed over the different perspectives of Loyalist, Patriots, Native Americans, Slaves, and Women in the Revolutionary War.

No comments:

Post a Comment